Although the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be elusive, this condition is truly a life-threatening medical emergency. Immediate treatment is crucial for anyone who may have carbon monoxide poisoning. It is imperative to stress that home therapy is not available for carbon monoxide poisoning. It is best to seek medical advice to be able to provide life-saving measures and prevent the likelihood of death due to carbon monoxide exposure.
Treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning includes the prompt removal of the person from the area of exposure. Afterwards, it is highly recommended to bring the person to a hospital for proper treatment. The length of time of exposure to carbon monoxide is an important consideration. The hospital personnel will immediately start treatment through hyperbaric oxygen therapy. This method involves the administration of concentrated oxygen to address the oxygen shortage caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Without treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning, the person affected may enter into a state of altered consciousness, experience confusion, have seizures, go into a coma, and potentially die. Death may result in any scenario that may occur either from a few minutes of exposure to higher concentrations or from an hour of exposure to lower levels.
Lastly, it is important to find the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning. The fire department must be informed and steps must be taken to make sure that the building and other surrounding areas where the incident occurred is safe for the general public.